Are Your Windows and Doors Ready for the Cold in Peoria, IL?
Whether or not you are ready, the colder weather is coming to Peoria and you still have time to make sure your home’s windows and doors are prepped for winter. Regularly checking your windows and doors can help ensure that your home stays comfortable and helps save on your energy bills.
What can you do to prepare your windows and doors for winter?
- Make sure your windowsills and all the moving parts are clean – Dirt and debris left in windowsills or the moving parts on doors and windows can affect the tightness and seal when closed.
- Examine your weather stripping – Weather stripping helps to reduce air from entering the home when windows and doors are shut. It can become loose or torn over time, so watch your weather stripping and reattach any loose portions or replace sections that are damaged.
- Reapply caulk or sealant around windows and doors – Rain, water and sunlight can harm exterior sealants and caulk. Remove damaged material and apply new sealant.
- Repair or replace damaged exterior surfaces – Evaluate the exterior surface of your windows and doors for signs of moisture leaking, that could include cracked or deteriorated wood. Replacing the damaged wood helps to keep cold air and moisture from coming back into your home.
- Install storm doors – Storm doors offers an additional layer of protection from air and moisture and improves energy performance.
- Install snap-in blinds or shades – Not only does this improve your privacy, but it also helps to insulate the home.
- Upgrade to energy-efficient windows and doors – If you still have single-pane glass, clear glass, or your windows and doors are older, you may be paying more than you should to heat your home. Our experts can share information about newer, energy-efficient options.
If you want more information about preparing your windows and doors for winter, contact your local Showroom in Peoria at 309-306-3893.