How to Find the Cause of Drafty Windows
There is a point every Peoria winter when you can’t uncover the root of the draft in your home. It could theoretically be emanating from a window that isn’t closed or sealed well. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes uneasy and cold, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air leaking into your home
- Higher heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help limit spending and cut down drafty air from entering your home, it’s important to be able to recognize where these window drafts could be coming from and why. Here are some helpful tips to pinpoint your Peoria home’s drafts and check for issues:
- Search for gaps and fractures in strange areas of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the typical windows with workable capabilities and use a straightforward visual inspection.
- Inspect to guarantee that windows and doors are sealed and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket near the operable portion of the window or door is accurately sealing.
- Test the installation by verifying if the draft is traveling through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only operate as well as it is positioned.
- Call a professional from Pella Windows and Doors in Peoria to have them run a home energy audit.
Once you’ve found where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to address the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the experts in Peoria a call at 309-306-3893 with any further questions or prospective replacement needs.