Kitchen Remodeling Dos and Donts
In 2017, kitchen remodeling was one of the most popular home projects and it’s a great way to increase the value of your home. But, you want to make sure that you are setting yourself up for success before demolishing your existing kitchen cabinets and floors. Consider these do’s and don’ts to achieve the dream kitchen you’ve always wanted the smart way:
- Conduct research to ensure the contractor you’ve selected is qualified for the job. Browse reviews online, seek out input from your friends and colleagues, and don’t settle just because one contractor has the lowest bid.
- Identify your kitchen must-haves—is energy efficiency important to you? Have a certain finish or countertop material? Do you want to have high-tech appliances?
- Evaluate what an ideal floor plan for your kitchen would look like. Keep it functional and efficient with plenty of storage and countertop space that fits your needs and the needs of your household. What do you want to get out of the space? What do you use your kitchen for most? Cooking? Entertaining? Spending time with your family?
- Hang on to all your receipts. Save the receipts in a safe place to submit when filing your taxes or to use when you are ready to sell your home in the future.
- Focus exclusively on the aesthetic of your new kitchen—shiny countertops or a perfect color palette aren’t the most important things about your new kitchen. Ensure the quality of your cabinets, countertops and replacement windows is high to keep your kitchen running efficiently for many years.
- Forget to consider the budget! Keep on budget by prioritizing based on your needs and what features are highest on your list. We advise budgeting at least 10 percent more than what you think you’ll need so you can cover unexpected costs during the remodeling process.
- Forget to consider windows! Pella Windows and Doors has a range of excellent kitchen window styles that can tie in an entire kitchen remodel.
One of the most important items of a kitchen remodeling project is the windows—they let light into your space, set the tone for the room and provide you a gateway to the outdoors, which is especially nice when there’s a cool breeze on a summer day. If you are thinking about replacement windows as a part of your kitchen remodel, give our professionals at Pella Windows and Doors a call at 309-306-3893, check out our Peoria showroom or schedule an in-home consultation with us online so we can help you pick out the right replacement windows for your kitchen needs.